Monday, November 23, 2009

"I'm Single" Part I

I don't want to settle and I don't want to see any of my friends to settle for anyone less than what God has planned for them. It's hard to do, you know? To sit around and wait for God to bring someone into your life isn't an easy feat when the world has programed us to believe satisfaction should be immediate.

I just had a conversation with a friend this morning about how she was ready to get married and start a family. She said that everyone around her was getting married and she really wanted that for herself. It's hard to wait patiently when everyone around you seems to be blissfully in love while they are picking out wedding dresses and baby names! Okay maybe not for the boys... but for us girls... we've been planning since we were old enough to watch Disney Princess movies!

But lately, I've been doing a lot of meditation on 1 Corinthians 7 and what it means to be in a "single" season of my life. Of course I long for a beautiful love story and to find my knight in shining armor! But this is a season of life that may be limited if marriage is God's will for me. There is no other time in my life that I will be able to focus all my time and energy on my relationship with Jesus Christ! This time in my life is so important! I'm learning how to trust God and to become a Christian woman! I'm in a season of life where I am capable of preparing for being a wife! And men... you too are in a stage where you can prepare to be an awesome husband even if you are single right now! We don't have to wait around until we meet "the one" to prepare. I mean do you really wait until the big day of a half marathon to prepare yourself? Of course not!

1 Corinthians 7:32-35
I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband. I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.

This time is perfect for learning to trust and rely on my Prince of Peace so that when I do find my knight in shining armor I don't have unrealistic expectations for him. I'm seeking what it means to be a Christian woman and what my role as a wife will entail one day. I'm seeking friendships with men and women alike for that purpose only... to be friends! I know that God has a plan for me and I'm confident that when he feels the time is right he will bring me someone better than I could have ever imagined!

Being single is an opportunity to discover who God has made us to be and what He has called us to in this life. - Eric and Leslie Ludy

I'm sure you have been in a relationship where you lost sight of who you were. Okay maybe that's just me but I know that when I go into a relationship and lose sight of myself it never works out. I need to know exactly who God created me to be and understand that I have a purpose as an individual. Also, that Jesus Christ is my priority and what a godly relationship entails. I'm thankful to God that He has taught me all of these things and I pray that he continues to speak to my heart about this!

I have a lot more to say but I don't have the time today :) More coming later!

God's Blessings,
Meg!

No comments:

Post a Comment