Thursday, September 24, 2009

Reaching Out

Have you ever had a friend call/text/start any kind of conversation with you... and you could jut tell that something was wrong? Now, let's say you were super busy: a huge exam, work, a date, or some other plan was just the only thing you could focus on at that point... and you blew them off? You may have promised that you'd give them a call back later... but it slips your mind and then it isn't until 4 days later that you REMEMBER your promise. It's happened to me.



Or what about if you know someone is struggling with something. They just broke up with their boyfriend or girlfriend and are hurt by it. They are really stressed out by all that they are juggling. Or maybe they are struggling with their faith. But you don't feel "right" approaching them to lend a listening ear or a helping hand? You let a chance to care for that person slip right through your fingers because you are slightly uncomfortable. I know I've been guilty of this. It doesn't hurt to offer to listen... it might be exactly what the person needs.



It's all about REACHING OUT to other people. What do you do for your fellow brothers and sisters?





What if you and I went for a walk out in the rain and you turned to me and you said you’d like to share just a little of your pain? Well my brother I thought you’d never say I’ve been waiting forever for this day! What if you were to call me up and ask for a minute of my time ’and you cried and said you were different from the rest like it was some kind of crime. Well my sister I hoped that you might come and I promise that you are not the only one. Look me in the eye and tell me honestly what ever lies behind your broken heart is too complex for me. Come and talk to me if for only for a while I am reaching for you. What if you were to tell me you were through with the way that you live cause you take so much from an empty world outside you've got nothing left to give? Well my brother I’ve felt the same way too but someone changed me and He’s got his eye on you. What if you remembered who you were before people broke you down and you realized you were someones little girl? And He loves when you’re around. Well my sister, your dad has seen you hurt and He’s waiting for you with open arms. Nothing hurts Him more than seeing you in pain. Just to see you come so close to Him and turn and walk away. Hide yourself in Him, He will make you brand new. He is reaching out for you. Your God is reaching out for you. He's reaching out for you. -Brandon Heath "Reaching Out"

It seems like we are always so focused on ourselves. What we have to do, what we want, what benefits us. Don't get me wrong you need to take care of yourself but we need to be taking care of our brothers and sisters as well!

If someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion—how can God’s love be in that person? Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions. --1 John 3:17-18

He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.-- Luke 10:27

But what if we could move the focus off ourselves and focus on other people. Do you think the world would change? If people started reaching out to others with a helping hand, a listening ear, or a warm hug... I think that there would be more smiles and less tears. It is our duty to help each other and to build each other up. It's a tough world... but we can fight the pain caused by the world's ways by sticking together and focusing on God's way.

So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.-- 1Thessalonians 5:11

Even if you aren't a pro at Scripture and don't feel qualified to give spiritual guidance you are still qualified to be a friend and listen. To reach out and help those who are hurting in anyway that you ARE capable.

Where there is no counsel, the people fall; but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."(Proverbs 11:14)

We work together to build each other up. We lay a foundation through Christ's love and from there we have all the tools to build relationships that God is joyful for! People fall but we can be there to pick them back up. We can build strength in each other. You never have to do it alone.

As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. (Proverbs 27:17)


What can you do for someone else today? It could be as little as opening a door for someone or as big as meeting up with someone you know could use some of your time. Let's start serving others, putting our own desires behind, and putting others before us! It might be a challenge but wait until you see the smile on their face and how amazing it is to glorify God through our loving actions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment